Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sluggo is Bored.

I've been redrawing some of my favorite comic strip panels, sometimes giving slight tweaks. Now, let me say, there are some comic strips that I consider sacrosanct... my ire is stirred by appropriations of PEANUTS and CALVIN & HOBBES that place those characters in a context that I don't think Charles Schulz or Bill Watterson would ever choose. As you will see in another post along these lines, I did a commission of one of my favorite PEANUTS panels of all time, and the person for whom I did it asked if I could maybe give it some kind of modern update, to which I demurred. You don't mess with the Schulz. 

Now, Ernie Bushmiller, on the other hand... don't get me wrong, I love NANCY. I confess, I was one of those who dismissed the strip as bland toast UNTIL I read a whole bunch of strips collected. Suddenly, the crazy genius of the strip became evident, and I was a converted fan. Still, I don't think that Bushmiller's rather conservative mindset is necessarily something that needs to be preserved in amber, so I have no issue messing around with his stuff a little bit. There are two words added to Sluggo's word balloon in this recreation. I'll leave it to you to figure out which two (hint: "Beatnik" is not one of them). 


Sluggo-Beatnik

No comments: