Tuesday, March 16, 2021

SUPERMAN #261 Redux... Twice!

Nick Cardy's cover to DC's SUPERMAN #261 (Feb., 1973) is a perfect capsule of the oft-unintentionally bizarre quality of Bronze Age comics. I don't think the editor intended to publish the kinkiest superhero cover of 1973 (and maybe it's not, I haven't done the research), but Boy, Howdy! 

Anyway, I've been wanting to tackle a redo of this cover for a long time, and I ended up doing two different versions, one entirely hand-drawn, using a mish-mash of generational trade dress and swapping the Superman logo for its sister title, ACTION COMICS. After I finished drawing it, I had second thoughts about replacing the original logo, so I did a second version with Illustrator / Photoshop elements for color and cover elements. So... here they both are. Lemme know which one you prefer in the comments. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm partial to the hand colored